While you may not mind crossing paths with a spider outdoors, having them in your home is another story.
Spiders make their way inside for any number of reasons.
Sometimes they like a warm place to hide out for the chilly months, sometimes they are in search of food or water, and sometimes they just happen to walk through a crack or an open window.
There are plenty of chemical-laden products on the market to repel and kill spiders but if you have pets or young children, these can be dangerous.
This eco-friendly, essential oil spider spray will safely keep spiders outside where they belong without compromising the health of your family or harming the environment.
- 15 drops peppermint essential oil (buy it here)
- 5 drops spearmint essential oil (buy it here)
- 5 drops eucalyptus essential oil (buy it here)
- eco friendly dish soap (such as this)
- glass spray bottle (buy it here)
- cotton balls
- Gather the ingredients and equipment
- Pour water into your glass spray bottle
- Add the oils to the bottle.
- Add a squeeze of eco-friendly dish soap to help break apart the oil molecules in the water.
Spray your doorways, windowsills, and anywhere spiders like to hide. Use the spray at least once a week for best results.
Place the cotton balls sprayed with spider spray in corners of your rooms or places where you feel you have a problem with spiders.
More Spider Repelling Tricks
Here are some additional ways to keep spiders out of your home. Al of these methods are natural and toxic free:
Get a cat – they will chase anything that moves, including spiders.
Scatter some citrus peels in areas where you have a spider problem.
Place a row of chestnuts around windowsills and doors where spiders frequently enter.
Caulk cracks – this will minimize the places where spiders can enter your home.
Keep your house clean – spiders don’t like a clean house. Keep dust to a minimal and take down any webs you find.