Getting the oils and debris off your face daily is instrumental in helping your skin healthy. However, commercial facial cleansers are often too harsh on the skin causing it to dry out. Using a gentle, natural soap and some essential oils, you can make a simple foaming soap cleanser that will keep your skin looking fresh.
- 1 cup distilled or filtered water
- ¼ cup Dr. Bronner’s Unscented Liquid Castile Soap
- 2 tbsp Argan Oil, Fractionated Coconut Oil or Sweet Almond Oil
- 15 drops sandalwood essential oil
- 15 drops frankincense essential oil
- 1 Foaming Soap Pump
Essential Oils to Use
You can use several combinations of essential oils for your foaming soap. I chose sandalwood and frankincense for their anti-aging properties. Here are a few other essential oils to consider
- Lavender – Helps heal skin irritations and great for all skin types. It’s perfect for stressed skin.
- Geranium – Balances oil production, conditions skin and is great for all skin types.
- Basil – Soothes insect bites and is ideal for sensitive skin.
- Frankincense – Improves elasticity, regenerates skin cells, helps with pigmentation, as well as, tones and tightens skin.
- Ylang Ylang – Treats oily or acne prone skin and stimulates cell growth to fight the effects of aging.
- Lemongrass – Reduces acne and large pores and is great at enhancing skin’s glow.
- Sandalwood – Helps in shrinking skin pores that provides an even skin texture and prevents sagging and aging skin.
- Tea Tree – Works great for acne and oily skin.
- Clary Sage – Fights the signs of aging and reduce puffiness, and regulates production of oil for both dry and oily skin.
In order to make foaming soap, you need to get a special type of dispenser. A pump-style dispenser has two chambers. One chamber holds soap and one pumps air into the dispensing unit when the pump is depressed. They are easy to find online and at big box retailers. The advantages of using a foaming soap dispenser is that you use a lot less soap. Most people use WAY more liquid soap than is necessary. The result is that you waste a good bit of it. Using a foaming soap dispenser is economical, especially when spending the money on organic Castile soap.
Making the Foaming Cleanser
Fill your dispenser about 1/4 of the way full with liquid Castile soap and the carrier oil you have chosen.
Add in the essential oils you have chosen. All essential oils required can be purchased from here on Plant Therapy.
Top it off with the water.
Insert the pump and gently shake to mix. Only a pump or two is needed to wash your face. The soap should feel silky smooth as will your skin after you use it.
Want More Recipes Like This?
Then get yourself a copy of the Everyday Roots downloadable guide with 215+ DIY recipes for making your own natural health and beauty products and non-toxic cleaning supplies. Each recipe is beautifully presented with stunning photography and will save you a fortune as you discover how to stop buying toxic products for your home, health and beauty regime and instead replace with better, greener, cheaper alternatives. Get your copy here.