If an apple a day keeps the doctor away, then a spoonful of coconut oil every day helps keep the dentist away. Oil pulling has many health benefits, but this version adds in activated charcoal to help brighten those pearly whites even more. They’re in a convenient little tab that’s truly grab and go.
Coconut oil for healthier smiles
You may have heard of the ancient practice of oil pulling, where oil is swished around the mouth. The naturally antimicrobial coconut oil reduces pathogens in the mouth, freshens breath and whitens teeth. This healthy fat also helps to strengthen enamel. You can read all about oil pulling for whiter teeth here. This recipe though adds an extra ingredient for even more whitening power.
Activated charcoal for white teeth
Activated charcoal draws toxins and impurities out of the body. Not only does it give your mouth a hearty detox, but this black powder actually whitens enamel without harsh bleaching agents. For those who enjoy tea, coffee or wine, charcoal helps to remove the stains caused by the tannins in those drinks.
Breath freshening oils
The idea of swishing coconut oil around in your mouth may not sound so appealing, even if there are health benefits. Essential oils add a pleasant taste, and also freshen breath. There are a lot of different essential oils that will work, but these oil pull tabs use mint or orange. Mint has a potent flavor for lasting fresh breath. Orange is milder, but still has antibacterial properties for mouth health.
Coconut Oil Pulling Tabs to Whiten Teeth
- 2 tsp Activated charcoal powder (available here)
- 1 cup Coconut oil (available here)
- 20 drops Peppermint or spearmint essential oil (available here)
- OR 25 drops orange essential oil (available here)
- Rubber spatula
- Silicone mold
- In a bowl combine all of the ingredients and mash together with a rubber spatula until thoroughly combined. As you mash and stir, the mixture will become softer.
- Once the oil is soft, spoon it into your mold. You want to use one that holds 2-3 tsps in each cavity. If they’re too large they won’t fit in the mouth, too small and they won’t be effective.
- Place the mold in the fridge for about 15 minutes, or until completely hard. Pop the oil pulling tabs out of the mold and store in a jar.
Tips for using your whitening oil pull tabs
- To use, place one of the coconut oil pull tabs in your mouth and chew until melted, then swish around. Continue to swish the oil through the teeth and over the tongue for 10-20 minutes, before spitting in the trash can. Do NOT spit this in the sink as it can cause a clogged drain when it hardens.
- Use these once a week, up to every day if desired
- The jar should be stored in a cool location, otherwise the oil tabs will soften and melt into one big oily mess. The fridge is a good place if your home is warmer than 72 degrees.