Dry skin can easily become itchy and uncomfortable, but there’s no need to suffer in silence. Lotion bars are an easy and portable way to nourish your skin, without the mess or hassle of liquid lotion. These citrus mint lotion bars don’t just moisturize though, they also invigorate your senses with their uplifting scent.
So relieve your skin with these ultra moisturizing lotion bars as you give yourself a hearty dose of aromatherapy. The beeswax helps the scent of the mint and orange to linger for longer on the skin. You’ll have healthier skin, smell amazing and improve your mood all at once.
Skin hydrating coconut oil
Coconut oil is useful for many different skin types, and its antimicrobial properties can even help to reduce acne. This oil is about as natural as they get since it isn’t manufactured with chemical solvents or refined like some other carrier oils. Coconut oil has a lower molecular weight which allows it to sink deeply into skin for lasting moisture. Since this is considered a “heavier” carrier oil, it takes a few minutes before it sinks into your skin, but it will keep your skin hydrated longer than water based lotions.
Mango is a natural emollient and full of essential fatty acids. This study found that mango butter not only completely repaired worn and cracked skin, but healed skin wounds. Mango butter has a consistency that’s a little harder than the popular shea butter, but softer than cocoa butter. It’s a little too hard to use on its own, but when combined with other ingredients it works beautifully to deeply moisturize skin.
Orange and Mint aromatherapy
Both orange and mint essential oils are uplifting, invigorating and energizing. Spearmint essential oil is useful for improving acne and scars, and helps relieve stress, nervousness and fatigue. Peppermint increases stamina and alertness. I prefer the scent of spearmint with orange, however you can also use peppermint if you like.
Orange essential oil increases circulation to help regenerate cells and brighten dull skin. And similar to mint, orange will help to relieve anxiety, nervousness and stress, while increasing energy and mental concentration. And its antiseptic and immunostimulant properties help to keep sickness at bay.
Citrus mint lotion bars ingredients
- ¼ cup mango butter, or 52 grams (available here)
- ¼ cup coconut oil, or 52 grams (best value here)
- ¼ cup beeswax, or 30 grams (available here)
- 25 drops orange essential oil (available here)
- 10 drops peppermint or spearmint essential oil (available here)
- Glass bowl
- Metal spoon
- Mold or muffin tin (these are my favorite)
- Add the mango butter, beeswax and coconut oil to the glass bowl. Perch the glass bowl on top of the saucepan, filled halfway with water, and turn the heat onto medium.
- Stir the ingredients occasionally with the metal spoon until everything is melted together, then remove from the heat.
Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes, then add the essential oils, stirring to combine.
- Immediately pour the mixture into your chosen molds and allow to cool until hardened. You can put these in the fridge to speed up the process.
- Once the lotion bars are hard, put them in the freezer for 3 minutes. This will make it really easy to pop the lotion bars out of the mold. Turn the mold over onto a towel lined countertop and give it a firm bang to pop the bars out. Store your lotion bars in a cool place away from sunshine to prevent melting.
How To Use Your Lotion Bars
To use your new lotion bars, rub them liberally all over your skin, focusing on particularly dry spots like knees and feet. It will take a few minutes for the oils to sink into your skin.
Investing in some lotion bar molds are well worth it in my opinion. Sure you could just use a muffin tin, but there are so many fun and creative mold designs out there to choose from!