Anyone who has acne and regularly breaks out with pimples knows how uncomfortable this condition can be. It can range from a few red pimples, to angry red acne scars. This face serum won’t clog pores, and delivers a soothing dose of essential oils to heal existing acne damage and preventing further skin issues.
Tamanu & Grapeseed Oil
The carrier oils in this recipe are just as important as the healing essential oils. Carrier oils that are higher in linoleic acid, instead of oleic acid, are better for acne prone skin. Grapeseed oil is a light oil that absorbs quickly into skin and is low in pore clogging oleic acid. Tamanu oil is higher in oleic acid, but we’re only using a small amount here. Tamanu has potent skin healing properties, making it great for acne scars and damaged skin.
Acne Soothing Essential Oils
Lavender essential oil is useful for just about every ailment under the sun, and acne is no exception. This oil soothes inflammation and helps to eliminate redness. Lavender helps skin heal from acne, diminishes rosacea, relieves itchiness, and fights oily skin to improve the complexion.
Tea tree is one of the most popular essential oils for acne. It’s a potent anti-fungal and anti-bacterial oil. Tea tree is helpful for infected wounds and abscesses, like those that acne can leave behind. This study pitted tea tree essential oil against the conventional acne treatment benzoyl peroxide. Researchers found that the tea tree essential oil performed just as well as the medication at eliminating acne. Unlike benzoyl peroxide which can cause hives or difficulty breathing, tea tree doesn’t have harmful side effects.
This floral essential oil is great for all sorts of skin conditions. It’s cleansing and antiseptic, soothes inflammation, balances oily skin, and helps heal acne scars. Geranium helps to clean out oil clogged pores to prevent future acne breakouts.
Patchouli and Grapefruit
Patchouli may conjure up images of long haired hippies, but it’s also helpful for acne. The essential oil is known to heal cracked skin, and regenerates damaged skin. It also soothes inflammation and reduces scar tissue. Grapefruit is added to help balance the earthy aromas of the patchouli and tea tree essential oil. This fruity essential oil also helps to balance oily skin.
Further Reading: Top 5 Essential Oils For Healing Acne & How To Use Them
Soothing Acne Healing Facial Serum
- 8 drops Lavender essential oil (available here)
- 15 drops Tea tree essential oil (available here)
- 2 drops Geranium essential oil (available here)
- 3 drops Patchouli essential oil (available here)
- 3 drops Grapefruit essential oil (available here)
- 1/2 tsp Tamanu oil (available here)
- about 4 T Grapeseed oil (available here)
Tips On Buying Essential Oils: We used Plant Therapy Essential Oils for this tutorial and we consider Plant Therapy to be the best. When purchasing essential oils, look for 100% pure products with no additives, adulterants or dilutions. You can browse the entire selection of Plant Therapy Essential Oils here.
- 2 oz glass dropper bottle (available here)
- Mini funnel (optional, but very helpful)
- Drip the essential oils into the glass bottle, then add the tamanu oil.
- Fill the bottle with the grapeseed oil until it’s almost full. Be sure to leave about ½ inch of space at the top for the dropper top. I like using one of these mini funnels to fill bottles with to avoid spills.
Tips for using your facial serum
- Apply sparingly to clean skin. Over washing skin can irritate acne and cause the oil glands to produce more sebum, so go easy on the soap.
- Put a few drops onto your fingertips, and gently massage into the face.
- Use some everyday for clearer skin!