As our world becomes increasingly toxic, taking simple measures to cleanse our bodies and support our immune health becomes all the more important.
The barrage of environmental toxins, pesticides, heavy metals, and food-based chemicals we are exposed to daily can build up in our tissues and cells, where they can wreak havoc on our health, contributing to conditions like cancer, infertility, cognitive dysfunction, and metabolic disorders.
Detoxing doesn’t have to mean week-long juice cleanses and extreme fad diets though. We can enhance the natural detoxification systems of the body by nourishing it with wholesome foods. One of the easiest ways to supplement a balanced diet is to enjoy a daily detox drink.
Benefits of Detox Drinks:
While the type of inflammation we experience in response to certain injuries or illnesses is part of the body’s natural defense system, inflammation that is unnecessary or goes on for too long is becoming increasingly common, thanks to our constant exposure to toxins.
This type of chronic inflammation is linked to illnesses like asthma, allergies, heart disease, cancer, premature aging, and more. Some even consider it to be the leading cause of death in the US, because of its far reaching consequences.
One of the most important steps you can take to fight inflammation is to increase your intake of fruits and vegetables. These contains anti-inflammatory compounds, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals to help your body quell the inflammation and reduce your risk of illness.
What better way to increase your intake of fresh produce than through a wholesome detox drink?
Load Up On Nutrients
With a decline in soil quality, increasing use of pesticides, and evolving farming methods, fruits and vegetables just don’t contain the same levels of nutrients that they did, say, 50 years ago.
As a result, we need to eat even more of these foods to reach our daily vitamin and mineral intake – yet research shows the average American struggles to eat even half of the recommended daily intake of fruit, and just over half of the recommended vegetable intake!
Although eating whole fruits and vegetables is important for the fiber content, produce-packed juices, smoothies, and detox waters can all help to make up the shortfall in vitamins and minerals experienced by many.
Help Weight Loss
Many detox drinks are packed with fresh fruits and veggies, meaning they keep you full for longer, help balance blood sugar, and stop your cravings. Detox waters are also a fantastic and flavor-filled alternative to sodas, diet-sodas, and sugar loaded take-away coffee.
All of these can help you reach your weight loss goals when enjoyed in the context of a balanced diet.
What’s more, some fruits – like blueberries and grapefruit – contain special enzymes that help the body to utilize sugar, which supports a healthy metabolism and weight loss.
Support the Liver and Remove Bodily Toxins
As our biggest detoxifying organ, the liver not only breaks down nutrients from food into materials the body can use, it regulates hormones and converts or excretes toxic substances so they don’t cause us harm.
Supporting the liver is of the utmost importance for overall health and longevity. Many detox drinks contain a whole host of foods – including leafy greens, citrus fruits, potent fresh herbs, and raw apple cider vinegar – which are known to naturally cleanse the liver, helping it usher toxins from the body.
Check out these signs that your liver isn’t working to the best of its ability, and discover how to gently cleanse it.
Enjoy Greater Energy
Nutrient-rich ingredients in detox drinks help to reduce inflammation, cleanse the liver, and replenish vital vitamins and minerals. All of these benefits boost flagging energy levels naturally.
In fact, fatigue is a common sign of an overworked liver, as the body is working harder to excrete excess toxins. Dehydration is another common cause of exhaustion.
Get Glowing Skin
When the liver struggles to keep up with a burgeoning toxic load, the body’s other elimination organs come into play – particularly the skin.
This is why skin eruptions so often follow periods of indulgence in rich or fatty foods, or copious amounts of alcohol.
By helping the liver to function more efficiently to eliminate toxins, and by naturally reducing the inflammation that goes hand-in-hand with many skin conditions, you will notice your skin clear up and begin to glow.
Detox drinks also provide plenty of vitamin C – which is essential for the synthesis of collagen, the protein that keeps the skin looking young, supple, and wrinkle-free.
Improve Mental Clarity and Mood
Fatigue, inflammation, and toxic overload can all lead to confusion, ‘brain fog’, anxiety, and periods of low mood. Once you start regularly consuming detox drinks in addition to a balanced diet, you should notice all these conditions lift.
Furthermore, many ingredients like lemon and mint are known to encourage sharp mental clarity.
18 Fantastic Detox Drink Recipes:
1. Strawberry Watermelon Flush – a sweet and delicious three-ingredient drink. Hydrating watermelon contains lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that has cardio-protective benefits, which is perfectly complemented by the sweetness of strawberries, and the sharpness of lemon.
2. Ginger Watermelon Smoothie – a potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, ginger is known to aid digestion, and quell nausea and bloating. This healthy drink also contains watermelon, lime, blueberries, and just a dash of Celtic Sea salt.
3. Allergies Be Gone Alkaline Green Juice – with flat-leaf parsley, cucumber, lemons, green apple, ginger, and optional sweetener, this drink is a fantastic detoxer – particularly as parsley is known to prevent the build-up of heavy metals, while fighting inflammation.
4. Strawberry Kiwi Water – delicious strawberries contain anti-inflammatory antioxidants like vitamins A and C, along with anti-aging flavonoids that can help slow down the aging process, and protect the skin. Kiwi is a rich source of vitamins A, C and E which are vital for skin health, fighting inflammation, and aiding detoxification.
5. Cucumber Apple Juice – an all-green juice with apples, spinach, cucumber, and iceberg lettuce. Cucumber in particular contains powerful polyphenol compounds that fight free radicals. It’s also a diuretic, helping to flush toxins from the kidney and liver. Be sure to juice the whole organic fruit, including the skin and seeds, as that’s where most of its nutrients lie.
6. Lemon Cucumber Ginger Mint Water – this juice is a powerhouse of nutrients thanks to some great ingredients. Mint is extremely rich in antioxidants, is known to stimulate the brain and increase energy, and is also an effective remedy for indigestion.
7. Rosemary Citrus Water – known to enhance the body’s bile flow, rosemary aids in fat metabolism and helps reverse or prevent toxic overload. This Mediterranean herb is also thought to have therapeutic potential in treating inflammatory diseases.
8. Kiwi Spirulina Smoothie – blue-green spirulina contains the pigment phycocyanin which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and brings several amazing health benefits, including supporting the brain and heart, and protecting against oxidative stress. Research has shown it’s a potent detoxifier that can reverse the symptoms of arsenic poisoning by removing the toxin from the blood and liver.
9. Winter Wellness Shot – for a quick hit of health, down this detoxing shot upon waking. Packed with nourishing ingredients like citrus fruits, ginger, cayenne pepper, turmeric, and apple cider vinegar, it’s not for the faint of heart!
10. Oh She Glows Hot Tonic – warm up and get energized with this easy to make ‘pantry drink’, which doesn’t require any fresh ingredients (except lemon), yet is extremely nourishing and detoxing. Contains ginger tea, cinnamon, ground turmeric, cayenne pepper, apple cider vinegar, and lemon juice.
11. Cucumber and Grapefruit Juice – an enzyme in grapefruit (AMPK) can help the body utilize sugar, boost metabolism and aid weight loss. This bitter fruit (which is also an excellent source of vitamins A and C) is well-balanced in this juice thanks to hydrating cucumber and sweet fresh orange juice.
12. Dr. Axe’s Secret Detox Drink – a drink that promises to cleanse, shed weight, boost energy and help reverse disease, this tonic comprises apple cider vinegar, lemon, cinnamon, cayenne, and honey.
13. Lemon Ginger Water – with just two ingredients, this simple beverage is perfect for cooling down on a hot summer’s day.
14. Sweet Apple Cider Vinegar Detox Drink – for those who like a little sweetness to their drinks, this Fall-inspired recipe contains honey crisp apple, apple cider vinegar, apple pie spice, vanilla, and stevia.
15. Dandy Dandelion Juice – a bitter green herb often mistaken for a backyard weed, the humble dandelion has so many uses. In this drink, it works to aid digestion, cleanse the liver, increase urination, and provide several important nutrients.
16. Berry-Kale Vegan Detox Smoothie – a five-ingredient smoothie rich in antioxidants, Vitamin C, folic acid, and much more.
17. Aloe Vera, Lemon and Basil Blend – aloe vera – the plant that should be in every home – helps to reduce inflammation, aid digestion, and contribute to skin health. Basil supports the kidneys, aiding detoxification, and has antimicrobial properties.
18. Cilantro Juice – rich in phytonutrients, antimicrobial cilantro helps to chelate heavy metals from the body. This recipe blends it with ginger, lemon, lime, and cucumber for a refreshing and detoxing juice.