Knowing how to naturally balance your body’s hormones can improve your health in a variety of different ways. Not only will you be able to regulate moods and boost reproductive health, you’ll also experience better digestion, bolster your immune system, boost your metabolism and have more energy, to name but a few.
Further Reading: 10 Natural Ways To Balance Your Hormones
Peruse the following list of 30 foods that help the body to naturally balance hormones and learn the key ingredients for a healthy endocrine system.
1. Extra Virgin Olive Oil is composed mainly of the essential fatty acid oleic acid, one of the body’s key building blocks for synthesizing hormones.
2. Avocado Oil also contains a high concentration of oleic acid as well as several other nutrients which have a positive impact on all parts of the body.
Ready to fall in love with this odd little fruit? Read more about the 10 Amazing Avocado Oil Benefits For Your Health & Beauty!
3. Real Grass-fed Butter, despite being vilified by the low-fat / no-fat diet trends that many of us grew up hearing about, provides the body with natural cholesterol which is necessary to produce healthy hormones.
4. Cold-pressed Virgin Coconut Oil provides the body with lauric acid, a medium-chain triglyceride which improves not only hormone production, but also overall cholesterol levels, skin health, and much more!
Be sure to check out the rest of our series on this incredible natural ingredient, starting with these 10 Mind Blowing Reasons Why You Need Coconut Oil In Your Life!
5. Raw Spinach is at the top of the list of foods highest magnesium, an essential mineral needed for over a hundred enzymatic processes including hormone synthesis.
6. Kale and other dark leafy greens, just like spinach provide the body with a boost of natural magnesium, as well as iron and zinc which are also necessary for hormone health.
7. Cod Liver Oil is a potent source of vitamin D. If you don’t spend much time outdoors soaking up sunlight, give your body a boost of this hormone-healthy vitamin by taking a daily cod liver oil supplement.
8. Wild-Caught Salmon and other cold-water fish like mackerel, sardines, tuna, and trout are another great source of natural vitamin D, as well as protein and omega-3 fatty acids which the body needs to properly synthesize hormones.
9. Portabello Mushrooms are the best vegetable source of vitamin D. When shopping for ‘shrooms, try to find varieties which have been grown under real sunlight for the highest vitamin D content.
10. Real Gelatin, not the kind that you find in pre-packaged desserts, is full of vitamins and minerals which are perfect for improving hormone health.
11. Soy Products like tofu are often fortified with hormone-healthy vitamin D, in addition to being an excellent source of lean vegetarian protein.
12. Walnuts and Almonds are packed with antioxidants and protein which improve the body’s ability to balance hormone production. As an added bonus, munching on these foods between meals will cut down on cravings for packaged snacks full of hormone-damaging simple sugars and polyunsaturated fats.
Pick up some more great tips to help you snack healthy and lose weight with these 500+ Healthy Natural Snack Ideas & Recipes!
13. Free-Range Poultry is an excellent source of health proteins and fats, as well as vitamins which go a long way toward achieving hormone balance.
14. Grass-Fed Red Meat is another great source of protein, zinc, iron, and B vitamins, all of which have a positive effect on endocrine health.
15. Free-Range Eggs (specifically the yolk!) also provide high concentrations of vitamins, proteins, and hormone-healthy fats.
16. Oysters and other shellfish also provide the body with a potent dose of zinc and other minerals needed for balancing hormones.
17. Pumpkin Seeds which provide protein, healthy plant sterols, and minerals that improve hormone health. The next time you carve up a jack-o-lantern, save the seeds and roast them to create a delicious, healthy, all-natural snack.
18. Himalayan Pink Salt is a wonderful alternative to the copious amounts of table salt consumed by the average person at meal times. While you’ll still want to use iodized sodium chloride (your body needs iodine, too!) consider adding this amazing natural salt with its 84 different trace minerals to your hormone-healthy diet.
Also, be sure to read all about the 10 Miraculous Benefits Of Himalayan Pink Salt!
19. Apple Cider Vinegar is well-known for the many health benefits it provides. Among them is the ability to help the body naturally balance hormone production!
Find out more about this healthiest of all vinegars in the 12 Eye-Opening Reasons Apple Cider Vinegar Should Be In Every Home!
20. Sprouts, whether they be alfalfa, broccoli, kale or any other variety pack a massive punch when it comes to vitamins and minerals. Add them to salads, sandwiches, and wraps or eat them by themselves to help your body balance hormones.
21. Lentils and other beans contain iron and proteins necessary for peak hormone health.
22. Asparagus is full of fiber and antioxidants which improve digestion, reduce free-radical damage to cells, and help the body to properly synthesize hormones.
23. Broccoli and other Brassicas (cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, etc) also provide antioxidants,
24. Sweet Bell Peppers are a potent source of antioxidant vitamin C (the highest of any natural food!) as well as flavonoids which can help improve hormone health in addition to protecting the body from oxidative damage.
25. Tomatoes are another excellent source of hormone healthy flavonoids, as well as calcium – another mineral needed for proper digestion and hormone balance.
26. Carrots are high in antioxidants and minerals like potassium which are great for cellular regeneration, hormone balance, and overall health.
27. Sweet Potato and other colorful starchy root veggies also contain high concentrations of minerals like potassium, as well as antioxidants and carotenoids.
28. Brightly-Colored Squash varieties like butternut and spaghetti are also at the top of the list of veggies high in hormone-healthy vitamins and minerals.
29. Beets are rich with flavonoids, fiber, vitamins and minerals which provide many health benefits like aiding in digestion and hormone balance.
30. Garlic is by far one of the world’s healthiest foods! In addition to being antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, garlic (and to a lesser extent onions, chives, scallions, shallots, etc) contain ultra-high concentrations of the organosulfur compound allicin which improve the body’s ability to metabolize iron, an important part of balancing hormones.
Want to learn more ways to naturally achieve picture perfect hormone balance? Be sure to check out these 10 Ways to Balance Hormones Naturally for more great tips! Plus, read our recent article on fixing hormonal imbalances with adaptogenic essential oils here.