Pain… who wants it or needs it? Pain slows you down, makes you irritable and can inevitably steal your joy. No matter whether you have pulled a muscle, pinched a nerve, have a headache or any other type of chronic or acute pain, essential oils can help. These highly potent oils go right to work in the areas that hurt to reduce inflammation, loosen muscles and help you get back to feeling your best in no time.
Plant oils are potent
Essential oils are not new to the natural health scene, they have been around since antiquity and are valued for their therapeutic properties.
3 Healing Recipes
Here are there, easy-to-make healing essential oil recipes that can help instantly relieve your pain.
1. Soothing Headache Salve
If you suffer from frequent tension headaches, this all natural salve can bring great relief. This salve contains three active essential oils. Peppermint contains analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties and has been used as a pain reliever throughout history. The anti-inflammatory and analgesic action of lavender essential oil can relieve body aches resulting from sore muscles. Eucalyptus is another popular pain-reliever that is found in a number of commercial products.
- Virgin coconut oil
- Essential Oils: 10 drops each peppermint, lavender, and eucalyptus (all essential oils available here)
- Empty glass/metal container with a lid.
- Fill a pan with hot tap water.
- Put ¼ cup coconut oil in a small bowl and place the bowl in the pan of hot water. This will melt the oil.
- Once the oil is melted, mix in the oils and pour into your container.
- Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature and put it in the fridge for one hour.
Use this aromatic salve on your temples and forehead to relieve a tension headache. Because coconut oil liquifies at 76 degrees you may wish to store this salve in the fridge.
2. Sore Muscle Balm
Maybe you overdid it at the gym, spent a little too long raking those leaves or just have tired and sore muscles. The essential oils in this soothing sore muscle balm work to reduce inflammation and increase circulation so that you can feel like yourself again. Cinnamon is a popular herb that has a number of therapeutic properties, it can keep pain at bay because of its prostaglandin-inhibiting action. Camphor is readily absorbed the skin and acts like a mild anesthetic, relieving pain. Rosemary oil is well-known for its ability to reduce muscle pain and the soreness associated with arthritis. Ginger oil helps to increase circulation and help reduce muscle pain.
- 8 oz sweet almond oil
- 1 oz beeswax
- 5 drops of essential oils: cinnamon, peppermint, camphor, rosemary, ginger and eucalyptus
- 2 drops of essential oils: ginger, black peppermint, and lavender (all available here)
- Melt the wax and almond oil together in a double boiler.
- Add the essential oils and pour into small tins or glass jars with lids.
- Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature before using.
Apply to sore muscles, rubbing the salve in a circular motion until it is absorbed. Use up to three times a day, as needed.
3. Sprain Oil Rub
If you have ever twisted your ankle, you know how painful a sprain can be. Swelling, bruising and immobility are common with sprains that sometimes take quite a while to heal. To help reduce inflammation and speed healing, try this essential oil sprain rub. Not only is this rub highly aromatic but it is also very effective containing two powerful essential oils, lavender, and peppermint.
- Virgin olive oil
- 10 drops of essential oils: lavender and peppermint (available here)
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil over low heat and add the essential oil.
- When the mixture is still warm, rub into the sprain.
- Repeat as needed.
Making a batch of essential oil pain-relieving balm or salve to keep in your natural first aid kit is a great idea. Essential oils are highly effective at reducing the pain and inflammation associated with overuse, stress or injury.
Caution: Do not apply essential oil rubs or salves to broken skin.
Need any of the essential oils mentioned in this article? All are available from Plant Therapy Essential Oils on their official website here.