Being sick is no fun, but the stuffy nose that often comes with it can really put a dent in your day. Conventional decongestants work by masking your body’s symptoms, and often have unwanted side effects attached. Symptoms range from restlessness and trouble sleeping, to vomiting, headaches and even seizures. Skip the questionable drugs, and use these eucalyptus shower disks to promote clear breathing instead.
Shower disks may be little, but they really pack a punch. You can customize the essential oils used in them, depending on the aromatherapy benefits you need. Most DIY products keep the essential oil concentration in the .5-2% range. Since these shower disks won’t be put on the skin though, it’s totally safe to use a higher amount, and you really need to in order to be able to smell them. No one wants to spend time on a project that doesn’t work as intended, so please don’t skimp on the essential oils here.
Peppermint is the first oil we’re using in this recipe. It has a high menthol content, so it’s great for clearing up the sinuses. It’s also a very awakening and energizing essential oil, making it the perfect pick me up for your morning shower. Peppermint also has antibacterial and antiviral properties to help kick your cold to the curb. Learn more about peppermint oil here.
Eucalyptus is really the star of the show here. Like peppermint it has a high menthol content and can help clear the nasal passageways. This study showed that Eucalyptus was helpful for bronchitis, showing how helpful it is for respiratory issues. It also has antimicrobial properties to help you recover from illness faster. Learn more about eucalyptus oil here.
Baking soda is what gives these shower disks their sustenance, and arrowroot powder helps them to dry hard. Store them in a pretty glass jar for easy use, or gift some to a friend. And don’t wait until a cold hits to enjoy the refreshing aroma. They’re just as good when used in your morning routine to help energize your body and mind for the day.
- 1.5 cups Baking soda (360 grams) (available here)
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder (available here) or cornstarch powder (available here)
- 2 tbsp and 1 tsp water
- ¾ tsp eucalyptus essential oil (120 drops) (available here)
- ½ tsp peppermint essential oil (80 drops) (available here)
- Small glass bowl
- Silicone mold or muffin tin
- Airtight storage container
- Pour the baking soda into a small glass bowl, and add the essential oils. Use a fork to break up any lumps from the baking soda, and to mash the essential oils in.
- Sprinkle the water over top of the baking soda mixture and use your hands or a fork to combine.
- Firmly press the mixture into your favorite molds, or a muffin tray. Let your shower disks dry overnight, then gently pop them out of the molds.
- Store in an airtight container. To use, place one in the shower and enjoy the aroma. You want to put your shower disk where the water will just barely hit it, but not directly under the shower head. The edge of the tub, or the soap dish are great locations. This way the disk will be closer to your nose and won’t just wash down the drain in 30 seconds.
Love DIY recipes like this? Get yourself a copy of the Everyday Roots downloadable guide with 215+ DIY recipes for making your own natural health and beauty products and non-toxic cleaning supplies. Get your copy here.
Where Can We Send Your FREE
If you could bottle up superfood perfection, this organic virgin coconut oil would be it.
Jar Of Virgin Coconut Oil?
Whether you’re adding decadent-yet-mild flavor to your favorite recipes, reducing inflammation, or moisturizing your hair and skin, coconut oil is the ultimate culinary and beauty multitasker.
And we want to send you the world's best coconut oil right to your door... for FREE. Just pay $1.95 shipping.
Get all the details and claim your exclusive free gift for Natural Living Ideas readers at the link below...